Sometimes, remembering specific voice commands to perform desired actions can be a challenge. Other times, you may find yourself repeatedly asking your Google Assistant to perform several actions together or at the same time every day. That’s where Routines come in. With Google Assistant, you can schedule multiple events to happen at certain times of day, when you get home or leave, or when you say a specific phrase. This guide will go through all of the ways you can use Routines and give you some examples of ways you can make your day more efficient using Routines.
Create a new Routine
To get started with Routines:
- Open the Google Home app
- Tap on your profile picture in the top right corner and select “Assistant settings”
Tip: On your Android phone or tablet, you can also say the phrase “Okay Google, open Routine settings”.
Using built-in Routines
The Google Home app comes preloaded with many event- and location-based Routines. To use one of these, tap on the Routine that you wish to use and configure your actions for the Routine (see Choosing an action)
- Ready-made Routines: Workday, morning, bedtime, leaving/arriving home, and commuting
Creating a custom routine
If none of the ready-made Routines suit your needs, you can create a custom Routine by selecting a starter (the event that will trigger the Routine), and the action that will be performed when the Routine starts. Follow the below steps to get started with a custom Routine.
- Tap “New (+)”
- Add a “starter” and an “action” (see below for more information on starters and actions)
- Save your Routine. You can now begin using your Routine
Choosing a starter
There are various types of starters you can use, including voice command, time, and sunrise/sunset
- Voice command: Enter the phrase you’d like to say to activate this Routine (leave out the “Hey Google” part of the phrase)
- Time: you can have your Routine scheduled to run at any time of the day, and if desired, it can repeat weekly or on specific days
- Sunrise/sunset: Your Routine can also trigger automatically at sunrise or sunset, based on your location
Choosing an action
You can do many things with Routines, from getting info to adjusting your devices and even performing custom commands. Here is an overview of some of the many things you can do with Routines.
- Get info and reminders: have your Google Assistant to you about the weather, what’s on your calendar, any reminders you may have, or even the current time
- Adjust your devices: set the volume of your Google Assistant device, turn on or off lights and other smart home devices
- Play media: control the playback of various, including music, or listen to the news, podcasts, or audiobooks
- Custom commands: you can also type being a custom voice command that is not on the list of pre-selected commands, giving you complete control
Edit your Routines
if you want to add, remove, or change your Routine, simply choose the Routine you want to edit, make your desired changes, and tap Save.
Routines can be used to make you more efficient in many ways. For example, you can set your Bedtime Routine to make sure all of your lights are turned off, your thermostat is set to the right temperature for sleeping, and all of your doors are locked. When you wake up in the morning, you can have your Google Assistant tell you what’s on your calendar, and play your favourite music to start the day.
Routines can also be used to improve the accessibility of Google Assistant. For example, if you notice that a specific command is hard for you to say, you can create a custom command triggered by an easier phrase that performs the same action, so that you no longer have to struggle with hard-to-say phrases.
Likewise, if you notice that the Google Assistant has a hard time recognizing certain commands or often misunderstands you in the same way, you can use the same approach to create a custom Routine using the misheard command as the starter. Then, your Google Assistant will perform the desired action even when it misunderstands you.
Need more help?
At Novalte, we offer a managed service that can help you take full advantage of smart home controls by harnessing the power of Google Assistant and specialized ways to make you more independent. Contact us today to learn more or request a free demo of our services.